OCRAT.COM SITE MIRROR
Sometime during the first half of 2005 Ocrat.com, a helpful site for learning
the Chinese language, went down and was replaced with the message "OCRAT.COM
is under construction. This site does not exist at this time".
Although the site had a "This site is no longer actively maintained. Sorry." disclaimer
for more than a year, its content was extremely useful, allowing visitors to see how Chinese
characters are written using stroke-order diagrams, listen and read Voice of America radio
broadcasts in Chinese and English, get pronunciation help, and many other helpful and interesting
things. Because I thought that the site was so useful and it is a shame to see such a good site go
offline, I want to bring back the content of the Ocrat site.
I am claiming the content of Ocrat.com under fair use. Using
Archive.org and the Python
programming language I have begun downloading, recreating, and improving the content of the Ocrat.com
site. If you have any suggestions or questions about this project, or if you have any information on
the Ocrat site (what happened, who is the owner, etc.) I would be very happy to
hear from you.
-- Steven Kryskalla <firstname.lastname@example.org>
News / Updates
- 11/06/2006 - Unless I overlooked something, this will be the last major update to the Ocrat mirror site. Stay tuned for a new project that will build off of everything here! If you find any errors or have any feedback please email <email@example.com>
- 11/06/2006 - Added Chinese text to image conversion, which takes any Chinese text and converts it to a PNG image (with your choice of font, color, and size).
- 11/03/2006 - Added Chinese Character Pronunciations, which will annotate Chinese text with pinyin and sound clips.
- 11/02/2006 - Vocab sections overhauled, added
- 11/01/2006 - Added Voice of America archives for 2006
- 10/30/2006 - Added Pride & Prejudice
- 2/22/2006 - Spurred by Ralf's hint on restoring the animated characters, I have rebuilt the other missing characters on the site:
192 big characters, and 196 caligraphy examples. The animated characters section has now been restored to its original state before being taken offline.
- 2/13/2006 - A big thank you to Ralf Piskora for helping me with
restoring the missing animated characters! The 187 missing
animated characters are now viewable.
- 10/12/05 - Rebuilt surnames (with pronunciation)
- 10/12/05 - Rebuilt numbers vocab
- 10/12/05 - Rebuilt countries vocab
- 9/27/05 - Rebuilt cities vocab
- 8/12/05 - Rebuilt compass (cardinal directions) vocab
- 8/12/05 - Site launched
Back to the Ocrat.com site mirror.